28 February 2012

Designer or not designer-made wallpaper...

Have you ever owned something you weren't aware of was designer made?
I have! This was over 4 years ago, and I only found out last week that it was a designer piece! So random!

When me and my boyfriend at the time moved in together back in late 2007 our apartment had this odd-looking wallpaper on one of the walls in the living room. All the other walls were simply white, but this one wall looked as if it came straight from the 1960's, with its odd looking flowers and plants on it. It was a black background with all sorts of coloured flowers, and me and my boyfriend both though it looked awful.
We thought "Who would ever put up an ugly looking wallpaper like this?" It just dominated the whole room, and it didn't go with any of our furniture. We simply couldn't stand looking at it, so after having lived in that apartment for no more than 2 weeks, we had it replaced.
Last week, over 4 years later, I browsed this interior decoration online magazine, and I saw this exact same wallpaper in one of their inspirational gallery images! They had written about this designer wallpaper, and I was just gobsmacked! Designer?!?
Apparently the design for this wallpaper is made by no one else than the late Josef Frank, who was an Austrian architect and artist who later in life moved to Sweden. Swedes are crazy about his retro designs, and decorating with his designed wallpapers is far from cheap.

I'm just laughing about this, cause even if I had known back then that I owned a designer piece I would still have ripped those horrible flower designs off my wall. Sorry Josef, but it really wasn't pleasant looking at it!
Be honest now... would you have kept this wallpaper even if you know it was designer made?

1 comment:

  1. I can barely stand to look at it, and it's just an image on your site!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...