20 May 2015

The dream of recycling an antique sewing machine base

I recently came across a very inspiring article on creative ways of recycling an antique sewing machine base, and ever since I’ve been obsessed with the thought of investing in one of these and making it into a vanity table – similar to the one in the above picture.
I already have an antique Singer sewing machine with the typical swirly iron base back home at my parents’ house in Sweden, but it’s a bit tricky to get it shipped over to England. Plus, the one I already have is really valuable to me with it having once belonged to my great grandmother, so I think I’ll just get my hands on a random one locally that I can experiment with and place in my dressing room.

My ideal dressing room would have lots of teal decorations as this gives a bit of a bohemian or almost oriental vibe. I’ve got a few decorations of this colour already, but would really like to go all out teal, mixed with shabby white and metal.
The focal point of the room would obviously be the upcycled sewing machine vanity table, but the rest of the room would all match, including bedding, lanterns, organiser jars (great for makeup brushes), etc. 

My dressing room isn’t actually a dressing room, but it’s simply the spare room in the house which is for guests. Therefore, it’s tiny and most of the space is taken up by a double bed. Very annoying!
My dream would be to have a single trundle bed in the guest room/dressing room. One that won’t take up much space, that has a pretty frame that matches the style of the room, that you can make up as a sofa during the day with the help of cushions, and that you can easily fold out into a double bed if needed. Something in line with the above trundle bed from Bedz ‘R’ Us would be absolutely ideal!

Just imagine this! Although, with some teal details thrown in the mix. I’d be in heaven!
I definitely need to get myself on Gumtree or Ebay soon to find an antique sewing machine base – I can’t wait to start my next project!
(I just need to convince the man in the house first… or do I?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...