25 May 2015

7 ideas to spice up your basic display cabinet

I've found a little corner of my house where I could, in theory, fit a display cabinet... 
I just need to convince my other half first! 
I've longed for one for years as I've got a really beautiful collection of designer glass from Kosta Boda, and at the moment I've got nowhere to display these pieces, which means they're just spread out all over the house in really random places. 

I'm quite up for a little DIY challenge though rather than going for a basic look, but that doesn't mean I can't buy a basic display cabinet to start with! I've got so many upcycling ideas! And even though they all won't go in my house, I thought they'd be useful for anyone who owns a basic display cabinet. 
The one above is made of pine and is from furnitureplus - a perfect blank canvas if you ask me! ;)

So, without further ado, below are 7 ideas to spice up your basic display cabinet.

Paint it in your favourite colour
This will really give new life, and a completely new look to your display cabinet. 
If you've got a specific colour theme in the room it will really lift it by painting your cabinet in a matching colour.

Spice it up with wallpaper
An old trick, but one that really works! 
You don't even have to paint the display cabinet, but simply add pieces of patterned wallpaper to the inside bit for an instant beauty boost!

Decorate it like there's no tomorrow!
Paint, fairylights and bunting... why not? 
The kids will love it, and it could be a great project to do together as a family.

Swirl it up!
Add a swirly wooden bit at the top of your display cabinet to create an antique look. 
You can even swap the drawer knobs for vintage options. 

Make it kid friendly
If your display cabinet is going in a kid's room, why not make it into the most awesome dollhouse in the world!?
You'll be the most popular parent in the neighbourhood, for sure!

Go back to basics
So you've got this basic display cabinet and you don't really know what to do with it?
You don't have to fill it with fancy arty pieces worthy of being sidplayed! 
Move it into the kitchen and use it for your standard plates and glasses. 
Basics for basics, but it'll still spice up your view on it.

Match it!
Sometimes it's not about how the actual display cabinet looks, but about what you put in it!
Go all matchy-matchy with a colour theme on your displayed items.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...